Saturday, July 28, 2007

What's my skill?

Lately I have been feeling precarious. This is not to be confused with my "mostly hormonal blues" of the past few days. Once the veil of doom is pulled back, I still feel like my footing is unsure. Part of this is related to work. My post is evolving. But more than work, the blogging world has brought about this feeling. The more blogs I discover, the more I read, the more relationships I build, in short the more I venture into this world, the more I feel like I don't have a freaking clue.

Please understand this is not a poor me statement. I have no reason to feel sorry for myself. Nor am I fishing for sympathy. I am writing to make sense of this feeling, the equivalent of thinking out loud. This is not a a bad thing, especially since it's been brought about by an increase in exposure to people, ideas, opinions and information that I would not normally encounter in the safe bubble of my everyday life. It is not too different from how I first felt when I started college a long time ago. Only this time it feels less like a small-town kid visiting Times Square, more like waking up from a too-long nap on a hot afternoon.

The most unlikely sources trigger reflection. A children's movie, one I have seen countless times, for example. I find myself wondering what exactly is it that I am good at and what should I do with my blog. While I am definitely nowhere near being "popular" on the Web, I have more readers now than when I started blogging. I think about this audience, especially the ones that pay me return visits. Why do they come? I know that my Mommy Board friends come because they want to know what's going on with my life and my kids. We share a bond much deeper than this blog. But what about the others? Why do they come back? Do they like what they read here or come because I also visit them?

The never ending stream of questions inside my head goes on. What is my place under the sun? What is my voice? What is this hodgepodge page I keep? Should I focus this blog on my life as a parent? Should I stick to keeping a journal of my mood swings? Should I only talk about what it means to be a Puerto Rican far from the island, married to an American? Why am I blogging in English, by the way? Should I strive for a bilingual blog? Should I talk about work? Should I just dedicate it to posting the pictures I take? Am I as good of a writer as I think I am? Am I getting too old to grow up, trapped in platitudes?

Such are the questions unanswered. There are two things of which I am quite sure, though:
  • What I post is my truth alone. I don't want to impose my views on anybody and have no intention of hurting anyone's feelings.
  • I love to read other people's blogs, and I like to have readers. It invigorates me to be able to have contact with people far removed from my everyday life and circumstance.

8 comments:

  1. I struggle with the same questions, too. I find reading other blogs is both motivating and yet intimidating.

    FWIW, I like what you are doing with your blog . . . I think it's a great snapshot of all the diverse elements that make you who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid, I agree that reading other blogs is fascinating, and yet can be intimidating... some are so focused, some so intellectual, some lives sound so exciting, etc. Mine? Well, I'm just me. :-) I write it strictly to record the ups and downs of my days and the things I am thinking about. I love the sharing and the feedback from others, but I'm not going to revise it just to suit them. I can answer one question for you, speaking for myself anyway... I first game to your blog when you showed up on mine. I like to check out what commenters are all about! I keep coming back because I like what I found there! You come across as a real person with joys and concerns, and mood swings like all of us! :-) Your kids are beautiful and you have lots of wonderful pictures, but mostly I enjoy reading to keep up with how your life is going, as much as you share here (acknowledging that we don't begin to share everthing on our blogs). People fascinate me, and the way they deal with their challenges and issues gives me new perspectives on how to deal with mine. I think you are amazing, and YES, you are a good writer! I don't spend a lot of time going back to ones that are boring or too challenging to make sense of. My theory is that no one is forced to read, if this isn't the perfect place for them to visit, they can find another reading zone elsewhere! Like you, I have no time for people who are judgemental and try to impose their ways on everyone. I just went thru a scene like that, and don't intend to again. Live and let live, life is to short to spend it putting down others, I wish everyone could understand that! BTW, I think that being a little disconcerted with our lives is a good thing, searching brings new experiences and understanding. I hope you're having a good weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post Ingrid. You know why I am here. :)
    However, I enjoy your writing very much. You have such a great way of expressing your thoughts and feeings.
    Just keep on being you....that is your skill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see... why do I visit Ingrid's blog?... suffice to say that I went through the same ponderings not long ago... and I think it is normal to have these questions...
    I visit your blog to learn more about you... you are my friend and I want to travel these roads with you... to reach out when you seem to need someone...
    Whatever you do with your blog, I will follow and support you, mi amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola, Ingrid:

    Yo no te conozco, ni tú me conoces. Conseguí tu blog por casualidad y me fascina. Lo leo diariamente. Tienes una forma de escribir auténtica y no importa el tema que toques, sabes hacerlo llegar con honestidad al lector. Así que no te preocupes demasiado; sigue siendo tú escribiendo tus ideas. Estás haciendo un trabajo fantástico. ¡Adelante!

    Soy puertorriqueña también. Vivo en Carolina.

    Un abrazo,

    Enid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias, Enid. ¿Sabes que yo me crié en Carolina?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingrid, I think your skills are obvious to your readers...you write from your heart, you're honest and articulate, and you establish such a connection with those who read your words, just because of the way you express yourself.

    I started reading your blog because I knew you from other online worlds. :) But even if that hadn't been true, and if I would have stumbled across this blog by happenstance, I know it would have drawn me just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ingrid,

    I read your blog everyday because I like your writing. You seem like a very interesting person who cares very much about your children. You also seem quite friendly. We can never have too many friends, even online friends who live hundreds of miles away.

    I find your blog interesting and enjoy your writing style. You are a good writer with a good voice. Don't be intimidated by other voices. We all contribute in our own way to this community and the silence of one of us diminishes the whole.

    By the way, my wife had to translate Enid's comment and your response for me.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete