Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I need a pat in the back, y'all

I just signed up for a 12-week challenge at the Fitness Center at work. It runs from August 20th through November 11th. I have 12 weeks to try to get a fitness habit going. Participants contribute 5 dollars to a pot. At the end of the 12 weeks, whoever has the highest score wins the pot. I figured money and a little competition may be just what a girl needs to get her butt in shape.

I have set modest short-term goals so I don't get discouraged and quit altogether. We get points for logging our workouts and fulfilling the goals we set for ourselves. In my case, my goals are to work out at least twice a week, for 30 minutes. There have been times when I have done more than that, but not lately. When my heel started hurting I stopped doing the treadmill altogether. I want to get back to walking. I do have the Race for the Cure in October to look forward to, but even that was not motivation enough.

I also have a goal of doing 15 to 20 push-ups daily (believe me, I am so out of shape and have such weak arms that I can only do 5 to 8 right now).

My biggest problem is eating habits. I do not know what to do. I did not set any goals regarding this, but my long-term goal is to lower my waist-to-hip ratio, and that will not happen if I continue eating the way I do now. I don't want to diet. I hate the idea of dieting. But I need to find a way to make better choices and learn portion control.

I could certainly use some suggestions and good luck wishes from all.

8 comments:

  1. woo hoo Ingrid! You go girl! Incentive really can help! I will be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid - good for you! Exercising will make you want to eat a little better. Have fun with it and win lots of cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid - A pad in the back from me! Regarding the problem you mentioned about your eating habits, let me recommend you a link I just came across with: http://www.nvperriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=home.anti_inflam_diet I hope you find it as interesting as I did. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for you, Ingrid! Nothing is better than the gifts we give ourselves - chosing to get healtier is one of them. You inspire me to get going on my program too. I am running out of bad excuses. :-) Let us know how it goes - I think it's awesome - and the challenge is a wonderful idea! Healthier staff makes for better job morale too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really hope this works.

    Ivonne, I checked the link and it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Ingrid,

    I'm a lot like you - I don't want to diet, either, but I do want to get myself in healthier shape. It's on my list of things to do (and I truly need to stop putting off, even though it's so very easy to find reasons not to do it right now!) I think Micki is right about the exercising helping you eat a little better.
    My goal is to exercise more and eat less of the processed foods that are out there. I'm trying to go more with organic choices, whole foods, that sort of thing. Don't ask me why but it gives me such a good feeling to be shopping in a store like Wild Oats rather than shopping at my local Super Walmart (although the Walmart is so much cheaper!). I think when we put better quality fuel into our bodies, we get back better performance. Also, I find I tend to overeat when I deny myself something that I'm truly craving and instead try to eat a "healthy snack" instead. If I want chocolate and try to substitute apples or rice cakes, I'll eat a bushel of apples and a package of rice cakes and still will want that chocolate. I'm better off eating a couple of chocolate covered almonds or raisins and satisfying that craving with a small amount than eating my way around the healthy snack spectrum. (and I hear dark chocolate has healthy benefits - yay!)

    Ok, enough of my hippie-foodie rant. wow, what a long-winded comment, eh?

    Good luck on your endeavor - you can do it!!! Keep us posted on your progress!

    hugsss

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it. BFL is 12 weeks. It really does become habit. Try some of their eating tips, it's not hard at all!

    ReplyDelete