Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Letter P

Through Shannon's blog, I am tagged for the Letter Meme. She gave me the letter P and I am to write about my favorite things that start with this letter. She could not have chosen a better letter for me to write about. Thanks, Shannon!

P is for Paula, my oldest daughter. She is nine years old and she's an amazing kid. She is smart, has a flair for the melodramatic and fiercely loyal despite her sometimes contrarian nature. She is also wise beyond her years sometimes, and a hell of a lot braver than I was at her age when it comes to playground politics.

P is for Puerto Rico, mi isla del Encanto. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Before moving to Texas in the year 2000, I lived there most of my life, save for one year in Wisconsin back in 1993-94. The last time I visited Puerto Rico was during the 2005-06 holiday season. I have not been able to go back since then, and I miss it greatly.

P is for pasta and pizza, my favorite foods ever. I know, I have the taste of a 5 year-old.

P is for Photography. I love photography and dream of someday getting a nice camera to replace my crappy point-and-shoot one. Years ago, when I was in high school I took a photography course. I loved being in the dark room developing film and prints. My teacher told me I had a good eye for photography. Times change and I have forgotten most of what I learned back then. But I still long to take pictures of an artistic nature. Every day I pass by areas where I see potential for great shots, but with my current camera I just don't even bother.

P i for Persephone, one of my favorite mythical characters. I just wrote a tongue-in-cheek stoy featuring her for this week's Fiction Friday exercise. For a while my screen name was Persefone, the Spanish spelling of the name. I very much identified with the goddess who went back and forth from her mother to her husband. For years I have been thinking about writing a coming-of-age story using the myth of Persephone as the framework. Maybe now that I have started writing again I will explore this.

If somebody is interested in doing this Meme, leave me a comment and I will assign a letter to you.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of fun information about you here, Ingrid! Yes, "P" was
    definitely your letter! :-)

    I can so relate to not being able to go home as often as you would like. When my mom was alive, I could barely afford to make it home once every few years, I used to cry about it. Now I wish my own kids could make it home more, that's how it goes!

    Ok, hit me up with a letter, I'll play with it and see what I can do. Let me hunt down my brain here, I misplaced it somewhere again! :-)

    ReplyDelete