Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not feeling it

I am not feeling fall yet. Where I live it's hot, hot, hot, and there are no red or yellow leaves on trees.

Where I grew up the climate was pretty much uniform all year round (the seasons are maybe rain/more rain), so I am perpetually confused about the traditional four seasons that people allude to. I wear the wrong clothes: strappy sandals in winter, boots in summer. I fail to perceive the emotional atmosphere that certain seasons evoke in most people. I would very much like to, but it just doesn't happen. I guess I am not wired that way. Except for spring, where I am in a constant state of elation for about a week. Because I am finally rid of the cold.

4 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem:

    I grew up in a place where there are 4 distinct seasons (with snow in winter!) in the Northern Hemisphere.

    For the last several years, I've been living in the Southern Hemisphere (read: flipped seasons) in a place that barely can lay claim to 2 seasons.

    It messes with my head to have Christmas in the middle of the boiling hot summer. Still. I don't think I'll ever be used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a problem too. Growing up in NY we saw all four seasons, and fall was my favorite. Now I see one season HOT and I miss the changes. But, I do not miss the snow and will never go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice and cool for a few days over here... I LOVE FALL weather. But it seems to be back to 80 degrees for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worse yet is being raised in a place of seasons, and then living where there really are none, or the changes are only minor. I so miss the feelings of anticipation with each season, I am always disappointed now. You haven't lived until you have experienced the magic of the first snowfall of the year!

    ReplyDelete