Friday, November 07, 2008

Bajón de boricua

My parents are coming to visit next week. I can't wait. I need a boost.

Once again I have withdrawal symptoms. I am on edge. I am becoming translucent, slowly fading. I am turning gray. I am becoming a blob.

In December it will be three years since I last visited Puerto Rico. Three freaking years. I miss it so much it hurts in my bones, yet I am so afraid of going back and finding that the gray comes with me, that the stain is indelible.

At what point should I stop kidding myself and admit that I am effectively gone for the long term? What is the cutoff date when it becomes painfully obvious that I can no longer consider myself an island Puerto Rican? Why do I insist of making such a clear cut distinction between islanders and statesiders, and why is it that it upsets me to think that at some point I'm going to have to move from one group to the other?

6 comments:

  1. you will always be an island Puerto Rican. Thats where you came from.

    Im glad your family is coming to see you. It will do you some good!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I need them! I am loopy lately, Meleah. I feel so disconnected. My parents ground me. I shudder to think how I will cope when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((((((((((Ingrid))))))))))

    A visit is just what the doctor ordered.

    On a side-note...I can relate to many of your posts on this particular matter. It does get better after the first decade but I don't know if that feeling ever goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi... My name is Heidy... I from Puerto Rico too and i live in this moment with my husband and baby in McAllen,TX. You are from what part of Puerto Rico... and where do you live??? Yo si que tengo un bajon Boricua!!! Linda semana llena de bendiciones y cosas buenas!!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola, Heidy. Yo nací en Santurce y me crié en Carolina. La familia de mi papá es de Cabo Rojo y la mi mamá es de Aibonito y Fajardo. Hace diez años que vivo en el área de Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saludos desde Mcallen, TX Ingrid... es Heidy...yo soy del oeste de PR, pero por razones de trabajo, vivi en Rollings Hills en mis últimos años que estuve en la isla y mi esposo en SJ. Entre nuevamente a tu site por casualidad... solo deseaba desearte un precioso 2011...q este nuevo año te traiga muchas bendiciones...amiga boricua!! Te cuidas mucho!

    ReplyDelete