Saturday, November 04, 2006

Dreaming of the sea

There are days when I miss the ocean so much it hurts. It's not like I have no options, but if I want to see the ocean I have to drive 1 hour to Galveston. The area around the Galveston Sea Wall is nice, and sometimes you get such a good breeze it is pleasant to sit on the wall. But Galveston is not the same as the beaches in Puerto Rico. The Gulf of Mexico water is brown, muddy. It is also cold.

Growing up on an island, I was accostumed to being surrounded by sea water. We always knew where we were in relation to the water's edge. The beach was so accessible that I took it for granted and did not actually go in the water that often. But I loved taking drives along the Isla Verde/Boca de Cangrejos coast. I did quite a lot of driving when my first marriage was ending. Somehow, seeing the vast expanse of the ocean made me feel like my troubles were small and my sadness was fleeting.

Today is Saturday, I have a whole day ahead of me to decide what to do. Or what not to do. There is so much cleaning to do in our house, more than can be done in one day. My husband Gabe is moving to a new office and has to get a lot of his files, books and papers out of our study. There is a gigantic pile of laundry in the dining room floor, and a new stove should be delivered sometime today. I am looking forward to getting the stove, it has been a wheek since I have cooked something that isn't microwaveable or a grilled cheese sandwich.

Of course, I would much rather be lying on a hammock between two palm trees on the beach at Boquerón.




1 comment: