Friday, August 28, 2009

Metformin

This morning I saw my doctor and had my blood sugar tested before and after having food, to complement recent lab results that showed my blood sugar as elevated.

A year ago my doctor prescribed Metformin, and I defied her orders. I decided to prove to her that I could lower my blood sugar with good old diet and exercise. I went to a nutritionist, started exercising and changed the way I ate. It worked, but the behavior modification did not take. It lasted for approximately six to seven months, during which I lost about 35 lbs. and got my blood sugar under control. I felt accomplished too, like I was getting a handle over the chaos. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon last November, and since then I have lived a sedentary, highly stressful, sweets-laden existence.

Thus, I found myself this morning with tears in my eyes as I drove to my neighborhood pharmacy to pick up the dreaded prescription. This time I don't have the energy to be contrarian. I am all too conscious of my failure to stick to my guns.

2 comments:

  1. You may not have stuck to your guns, but it is incredibly hard to do so. So many factors come into play with diet and so on. I know you didn't want to have to take this medication but it will help and perhaps you can get off it soon. The most important thing is to look after your health however you can. You didn't fail - you just got sidetracked by life. Let us know how you go on the meds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dust yourself off, and get BACK IN THE GAME. Don't beat yourself up over falling off the wagon in November, just start OVER. You CAN do it. I know you can.

    ReplyDelete