Saturday, June 16, 2007

It's Saturday. What do I care?

It was a bad night last night.

I had a fight with Gabe. A bad one. A really bad one. He says I was already upset or mad, and that I picked the fight. Maybe so, maybe it's true and Paula's departure yesterday has affected me in ways I fail to realize. But last night I just could not deal anymore with something that has been going on for so long. I blew up. I opened the floodgates. I had all this anger and upset inside me, and it just came rushing out.

I can be extremely blunt when I am angry. In normal, every day interactions, I tend to keep myself in check. I don't like to make people feel bad, I do not derive any joy of it. As a young person I was picked on, so I am very mindful of how my words can hurt others. But there are times when my evil doppelganger shows up and takes over. You know, the one with the mean streak. The one who is very adept at coming up with zingers. The watered down version of the aggressiveness that seems to run in my family. I had a great grandmother who stabbed a man once and broke another man's arm on a stone mill. I had a grandfather who hit my father on the head with the blunt edge of a machete when my father was a kid, and who as a grownup was just plain mean. I had a father who I likened to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, a good person who turned bad whenever he opened the bottle of Cutty Sark. Once I saw him come into the bedroom, drunk, and throw a book at my mom's head while she was in bed sleeping.

So that is my pedigree. I have what we jokingly called a herencia maldita when I was growing up. A cursed inheritance (or a family curse). In me it mostly manifests itself as these dark, dark moods where I say incredibly mean things without being able to stop myself, sometimes even saying them with glee. Once, years ago, I was so agitated in the middle of a fight (this was in the era pre-Gabe) that I poured a pitcher of ice water over my head to calm myself down.

Getting back to last night. I love Gabe very much. I feel like we "get" each other in so many areas. But I also feel disconnected from him at times. We never ever have time for ourselves. We don't interact much in areas that have nothing to do with the household or the kids. He may have read this blog twice, and I have been keeping it since November. He is always either too busy or too tired. And last night I had it. I said many things that were not necessarily meant to hurt, but rather to illustrate my views and my feelings. The only problem was that my views and feelings were somewhat distorted last night. And the things I said were not akin to constructive criticism. So we fought. And I told Gabe that I had no interest in celebrating our anniversary (coming up in 10 days). That's got to hurt.

How do you get someone to truly understand that the things you want from them will not cost them a penny? My husband grew up believing that the way to show someone your love is spending money on them. He wants to do nice things, take me on a vacation, take me out to dinner, buy me the proper gifts. The traditional gift for a 3rd year anniversary is leather. How do I know this? Because he looked it up. He cares about these things. And it is very sweet. It really is. But it is not what I want, it is not what I need. And I feel like a horrible, ungrateful bitch for feeling this way.

7 comments:

  1. *hugs* I understand. I really, really do. I've been feelign the same way lately, except Jay's never read my blog. And he doesn't even really spend money on without prodding. So there's that. :) Plus, you may not realize this, but at least your aggressive bad moods manifest as hurtful words, and not physical hurt. There's a difference there, I think.

    I do think you're entitled to get what you need. Have you expressly told Gabe what you need? Because he needs to understand that it's not about what he thinks you need, but what you think you need.

    And then maybe, you can do the same for him? I've found that Jay responds better to what I say I need when I'm doign the same for him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I too have that curse.

    It sounds like his "love language" is gift giving - easy for you to figure out, now we need to figure out yours and train him in it.

    *hugs* sweetie, I always feel awful the day after our fights no matter how much progress I make in communicating, it's always in that mean way that feels like someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many hugs for you! I hate fights. We don't do it very often, but lately, as you read in my own blog....things are tense for me,so my temper is short. ugh...
    I hope that you feel better about it soon, and some things change. Marriage is soooooooo hard.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Kulia, I was going to mention "love languages"... I think I have a copy of the book if you want to borrow it... it is very insightful in figuring out how you tick and how your loved ones tick...
    You obviously care greatly for each other... you just need to get on the same page... and while Paula is gone this summer, you need to ditch Isa and get some "couple time" in.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I would love to borrow your book. We both know there's stuff we need to improve, but we have no clue how.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing with such honesty.

    I agree that it sounds like Gabe is loving you in a way that translates to love to him. That is exactly how Kyle is - he LOVES getting gifts and loves to buy them for me. I could care less - I would much rather he sit down and TALK to me for a few hours. ;) So much of marriage is the journey of deciphering what the other person is about and loving them in a way that feels like love to them.

    Now, I am just blathering, but I wanted to send you hugs, too. Marriage is hard. Hard, hard, hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of hugs, Ingrid!

    Mark and I read the love languages book too and discovered that gift-giving is actually my language, and definitely not his. I love to pick out things for him when I'm out shopping, but I've learned that he'd much rather that I save the money and just hang out on the couch with him in the evening. It was a big eye-opener!

    I hope you can get some good quality time in together soon.

    ReplyDelete