Wednesday, September 12, 2007

If I see one more seared scallop, I am going to scream

I am starting to get sick of Top Chef. When this show first came out I loved it. The show is in its third season and the novelty has faded. Whatever twists the producers are coming up with feel old and uninspired. I am tired of seeing the contestants scramble to create sophisticated dishes for a stampede of beautiful people on a $50 budget, blindfolded and cooking over a sterno can with a hand tied behind their back. I am tired of Meyer Lemon, gastriques and snarky judges. I am tired of people being chosen to compete because of the personality type they represent, rather than their cooking skills. I am tired of the product placements and sponsors, which are more blatant than ever this season.

Maybe Bravo has finally gone too far. I used to think differently, but now I realize their shows are no different from the reality television drivel the networks throw at us. They want us to think their programming is more sophisticated, but the truth is every Bravo reality show is an exercise in snobbish futility.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this rant, Ingrid. I think that all so-called "reality shows" should be forced to flash a warning at the beginning that says "the reality factor of this show is only in the eyes of the network executives, it is actually a contrived piece of shit... enjoy!" :-)

    ReplyDelete