Monday, September 03, 2007

The end of summer?

I grew up on a tropical island without any clearly defined seasons, other than Hurricane Season which we all knew well. To me, Labor Day had always been "that big holiday that falls in September."


Now that I live in the US, I see everywhere the whole "Labor Day is the official end of summmer" concept, but I am not sure I feel it. I live in Southeast Texas, after all. Our seasons are Hot and Less Hot/Sometimes Cold.


Anyway, this morning I will try to take the girls to the pool for a little while. Paula and I went to the pool yesterday. After today our neighborhood pool will close until next year. I have always thought that was pointless, as the weather permits for it to be open until the end of October at least. But the reason why they close is less related to the weather than to economics and the difficulty of finding lifeguards after colleges and universities start their school year.


We are also planning to do some grilling for dinner tonight. I am planning to make chicken shish kebobs. I bought a Thai peanut marinade that I think will be perfect for some. I also have rib eye steak wrapped in bacon, and some chicken cordon bleu sausage that we bought at this place in Wharton on our return trip from South Padre Island. It is delicious. Gabe loved it, and he is not really a fan of chicken sausage. I am still trying to decide what to serve with the protein. I know my mother-in-law is bringing homemade macaroni and cheese. I may prepare mashed cauliflower: steamed, mashed and seasoned with butter and parmesan cheese. I made it yesterday for the first time and it was delicious, a good alternative to mashed potatoes.


The girls will have Shirley Temples. It will be good.


My only concern is that Isabel seems to be sick again. Wednesday and Thursday I kept her home because her stomach was upset. Friday and Saturday she seemd to be back to normal, but yesterday she got sick to her stomach again and had very loose bowel movements. This morning it happened again. So now I have to monitor her closely during the day and be careful what I feed her.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Ingrid, 95 degrees outside here doesn't feel much like the end of summer, but at least knowing it's September tells me that the end will come - eventually - sometime in October if we are lucky! I miss the real changing of season too. Here we have four seasons of blowing dirt, some are just a little hotter than others. Snow is a miracle that happens for a few hours once a year. I hope Isabel gets to feeling better, your BBQ menu sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete