Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Those crazy truckers

In true Ingrid form, I recently discovered and become obsessed with something that is not brand new. It happens all the time, I am always hopelessly behind on things. I discover bands that have been around for years, or fall in love with books from a few years ago.

My newest fancy is the show Ice Road Truckers. I saw it for the first time last weekend, and now I am addicted. Of course, I discover the show when it's almost over. The season finale is next Sunday. At least I'll have a chance to watch more episodes. On Sundy they are running all the episodes back to back, leading up to the finale.

Now you may wonder what the hell is the appeal of this show to me. I know it sounds weird for a Caribbean woman to be so into a show about truckers using a frozen lake as a shortcut and hoping the ice doesn't crack and take them under. Basically, this is a show about a world that could not be further from mine. Yet, it is so appealing to me. And maybe this is because it gives me a chance to get a glimpse of what I would never be able to experience otherwise.

Then again, as I have stated before, I am fascinated by stories that highlight man's fight against nature, and nature's ultimate supremacy over our illusions of control. I am also partial to stories about the Artic. This show hits both spots.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, but the ice is meeeeeelting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny, because I actually know what you're talking about, even though we don't have cable at home. LOL! We caught a few episodes of this show at our hotel when we were on vacation last month, and it's definitely addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like that show but I only watch it at this cafe by my job. I can never remember to watch it at home.

    I know what you mean by always being behind on things too. My friends call me a late bloomer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally like that when it comes to getting into shows - I never watched Friends or Seinfeld until they were nearly over and totally indulged in all the reruns.

    I've heard about the trucker show but never watched it. Has anyone ever fallen through the ice? If so, will they have a show about divers who go down and retrieve the truck's cargo?
    That would be COOL - pun intended ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the show, but it sounds awesome. Right up my alley!

    I am also hopelessly behind on things... and it's getting worse everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bea, I have only seen one full episode and parts of two others, and no one has fallen through the ice on those, but there was a mention of a prior episode where someone did.

    The finale will be interesting. The ice is melting and soon there will be no ice road left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay... was in the dark on this one. I too am usually behind in the times. I'm not the normal fad chaser. But some might acuse me of left in dust too!! I just like things on clearance, and usually things on clearance because it isn't in style! LOL! I'll check out the link though. It sounds really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been enjoying this one too, Ingrid, though you couldn't pay me enough to make that trek! I think I love thinking about the icy cold while sweating down here in the 100 degree stuff.

    ReplyDelete