Friday, August 17, 2007

Fiction Friday

A while ago I learned about Fiction Fridays through paisley's blog. I liked the idea and wanted to start doing the weekly challenges. Today's challenge was a good starting point, as it was simple enough: to write a scene where an adult character demonstrates a child-like habit. There is a list of eight of these, we are to pick one and write about it. So, here's my piece:



Driving home from work, Ana remembered there was no milk in the house. So she swung by the neighborhood Walgreen's prior to picking up Carla and Ileana at daycare. It was almost 6:00 PM, so she did not have much time to linger in the tabloid magazine display, although it was tempting to thumb through the latest young Hollywood trainwreck issues. Anything that made Ana feel better about herself that day would be welcome, but she had to rush before the daycare closed.

Once home, she had to muster all her strength not to drop everything and sit down in front of the computer to check out her favorite blogs. Daniel was not home yet and she was exhausted. There had been a business review at work that day, and Ana had been on call, generating trends charts on demand. Mr. Banks had been particularly nitpicky that day, and Ana had to resist the urge to tell him where he could stick his numbers. But that was over now, her second shift was just starting. Carla was hungry for chicken nuggets and Ileana wanted some milk. Ana got out a glass from the cabinet and reached for the milk and the powdered chocolate.

Mmmm, nothing like a glass of cold chocolate milk to make everything go away. She was one with the milk, revelling in the sweetness and silkiness of it. Maybe she would read a nice book tonight, or start that scrapbook project she had been putting off, maybe she would go to the butcher and get some nice pork chops for dinner, or make baked ziti or…

She felt a tug on her pants leg. "Mami, is that my chocolate milk? I waaaaaaant iiiit!", said Ileana. "What? Oh, sure baby, here you go", said Ana. As she wiped her milk moustache away, Ana noticed the oven was warm already. Time to get the chicken nuggets in.

15 comments:

  1. and an excellent first venture it was.. thank you so much for the mention,, and even more so for joining us here... i think you'll like it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you joined in, too. Those last two paragraphs made me smile, realistic, brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to FF.

    One great first post. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to FF from someone else who's fairly new around here. I enjoyed your piece. I can really feel for that mother and her lost moment of respite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the FF crew!

    I REALLY liked this piece. Reminds me of D. Challener...lol!!

    See you 'round the water cooler,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun to read...but i had to wonder if it said anything about YOUR day.
    I look forward to next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny you say that, Corey. I was having lunch with Amanda and she said "What do you mean that's fiction, that's your life!. You just changed the names." LOL. While this particular episode is made up, I have to admit that I drew heavily on my life experience when writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chocolate Milk selection was not for me...it IS me. I drink it when I get upset...although I mix it in a cocktail shaker.

    Welcome to Fiction Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best place to draw inspiration is often our very own lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are inspire to from your life experiences. I guess all fictions has some truth in them. Nice first FF and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all. I had fun. I definitely will do the FF challenge again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In general, I like this and it makes me want to know more about Ana. Who is Daniel, and why is he not home yet? Is that usual or unusual? Is thumbing through tabloids a guilty pleasure? Clearly, she's a sympathetic character with a depth that goes beyond these few paragraphs. What I'd have liked to see more of is a hint of conflict that would drive a story... I think you've got the bones of it but it just needs a bit more detail if you wanted to build on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All moms deserve a treat now and again. :D It's a good first entry! Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great feedback, pjd. I appreciate it. It may be worth it exploring this story line in future challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let me just say that I enjoyed your story very much. Realistic and human. You may be new to FF but your definately not new to writing.

    ReplyDelete