Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Confessions

I like to think of myself as a good person. I pride myself on following the most basic rules of society, on acting with the conscious goal of not hurting others. Yet I know I am not as good, as nice as I would like to be. With that in mind, I started making a list of my transgressions, with the intention of sharing them on this post. I was halfway through number one when I pictured my lawyer husband warning me about the sheer idiocy of what I was doing. Do I really want to have a written record of my peccadilloes for posterity?

I also remembered the stories about companies regularly checking the blogs and MySpace pages of employees and potential recruits, and of people being fired or passed over for jobs because of the contents of their blogs (can you say dooce?). My blog is public, my face is plastered all over it, I sign it in my name. It truly is a risk. So I stopped myself, and now I am left with nothing but disappointment at the fact that I self-censored my blog. I have always had this wonderful, idealized notion that my blog was going to be the one space for true self-expression, so I hate it when grown-up reality intrudes.

And yet, even though I will not share most of my less-than-stellar experiences, I can share the one memory that got me thinking about this subject. It is one of my worst moments, and I am ashamed of it. I have never before shared it with anybody.

When I was growing up, I had a best friend. We went to a small school together, from kindergarten through sixth grade, except for one year when my mom moved me to public school. I loved my friend very much, but once we went to different middle schools, we sort of drifted apart, although I still learned about her life from mutual friends who I ocassionally heard from. And once in a blue moon we would see each other at the mall. We went to different universities, on opposite sides of the island. She became an engineer, as her family wanted to, then put her title aside, got married and worked as an event planner. Or at least that is what I heard.

My shameful memory comes from the time Paula was an infant. Details are sketchy, so I can't remember exactly how old Paula was when I found myself sitting accross the room from my old friend at a pediatrician's packed waiting room. I know she was still in her baby bucket carrier, so she was pretty young. I remember noticing my friend and then deliberately pretending I had not recognized her. She did not make any kind of acknowledgment that she had recognized me either. I wonder what went through her mind.

At the time I was so embarrassed about my life that I dreaded saying hi. What was I going to say, that I was unhappily married, miserable at work and most likely depressed? That I could not even breastfeed my baby full time? That I, the smartest kid in our class, now worked as a receptionist because I did not have the guts to stay in law school? She looked great, and I looked so fat and ugly, I could not face her. Trying to avoid humiliation, I did one of the things that I most despise, acted like a jerk and ignored someone I once cared deeply about.

I never saw my childhood friend again, and now I live in Texas, so there is little chance of running into her again. In hindsight, I wish I could apologize to her for my stupidity.

5 comments:

  1. Hugs! You should look her up. I bet you could find her.

    I know what you mean about censoring your blog, although I've chosen to "let it all hang out". I think I'd be embarassed if I knew that my boss read it or even some of my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lori - if you want, you should try to find her and make contact. Though, I understand why you avoided her when you saw her. It's only human not to want to get into what your life is like when you're not happy. I know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that once...or many times. If it is weighing so heavily on your conscious now, you know it probably won't happen again. Take comfort in that. Also, remember that she snubbed you too and that was NOT very nice!! I got snubbed once or twice by old friends but I still made myself say hello....because it's one thing to DO the snubbing, it's another thing entirely to TAKE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have thought about that. I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she must have known it was me, in which case it was a mutual snub.

    I have tried looking her up on the Internet, but not have been successful. Writing about this has gone a long way towards making me feel better about the whole thing. Somehow, it doesn't look as big as it did when I had it bottled up inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny because I was just thinking that your friend was probably thinking"Oh my god it's her. What am I going to do, I can't go over say hi and what tell her i'm in a miserable marriage tell her I hate what I do...
    You're friend was probaly thinking the same thing os somrthing similar to it. That's what I would have been thinking. Just find her.

    ReplyDelete